Saturday, March 5, 2011

Weekend Mornings!!!

Especially gloomy weekend mornings, nothing cheers me up more than FRITTATA!!!

It sounds so fancy schmancy, but really it is nothing more than an egg pancake mixed together with whatever veggies from the week are starting to wilt in my fridge, along with whatever cheese I happen to have on hand.

This week, it started with a lonely half an onion from something I've made recently (or not so recently considering it was starting to sprout again) and a green pepper aging oh so gracefully with it's wrinkles and even one side turning a bit red.  A small perfect little potato that jumped out at me because it just felt like sacrificing itself for my morning carbohydrate pleasure and some left over mizithra cheese from my brown butter carbohydrate binge Monday night.  Mizithra cheese isn't a melty type of cheese, but considering it's all I had on hand, I gave it a try.  For some reason (maybe because it's made from sheep's milk) it smells a little funky when placed under a broiler.  It tasted okay though, but I probably wouldn't recommend it for this type of preparation.

Okay, so here we go.  This is so easy. 

Cut up the veggies into small same sized pieces.  In a medium sized skillet set to med-high heat add 1T of butter and 1T of olive oil and veggies.  Add a pinch of kosher salt and some cracked black pepper and start to saute' the veggies.  When the veggies are tender add 4 beaten eggs.  I seasoned my eggs with another pinch of kosher salt, more pepper and a dash of cayenne pepper for some heat.  Pour eggs over veggies. 

I'm not sure this can get much more easy.
Before broiling you will still see uncooked egg whites throughout the top.
Turn your broiler to high heat.  Lightly fold the mixture together as it starts to set.  When the bottom has set, but the top still needs to cook a bit (picture above), place the skillet under the broiler until the frittata has fully set.  This will only take a few minutes, so stand by and watch.  When it's finished.  Top with grated cheese and place back under the broiler until golden brown.  Enjoy!

A slice of the Frittata (half a serving)
Note: This frittata was made for two, but you can easily make this in a larger skillet adding more eggs and veggies accordingly, or even decrease to a smaller skillet for one.  

A few of my favorite frittata combinations:   
  • Spinach & Bacon 
  • Feta & Roasted Red Peppers
  • Mushroom & Caramelized Onions

 


1 comment:

  1. Yum! Good idea since my cut veggies start looking a little limp on the last day or two of the 2nd week!

    ReplyDelete