Sunday, March 13, 2011

From Boring ~ To Brilliant

A lot of people turn to chicken as their main protein.  It is so versatile and can adapt itself to any flavor you may be craving.  That makes it kind of difficult not to use it.  Not to mention, it's also healthy when prepared practically any way other than fried.  

Speaking of healthy, has Jess or I ever mentioned that we met while working for a weight loss company?  Hmmmm...go figure, right?  We love food so it makes sense.  Well, I loved the counseling part and HATED the selling part.  I didn't like selling people something that they didn't need.  There isn't a magic pill.  I stuck it out for a little while though and I was mainly there to hold myself accountable and to lose some weight of my own.  Which I did.  Then I quit.  Terrible, I know.

Anyway, back to the chicken.

Even though chicken is what I think of as the MVP (Most Versatile Protein) it can still sometimes be BORING, right?  I hope over time Jess and I can build up a great selection of easy, but wonderful recipes that take your chicken from BORING to BRILLIANT!!!

So, here is something I made recently.  It was heavily adapted from the Food Network chef, Claire Robinson's, recipe for Bacon & Blue Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts.

Here is how I made it my own.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 - Best Life Buttery Stick (feel free to use room temperature real butter if you wish)
  • 4 oz. crumbled mild blue cheese (I used Gorgonzola)
  • 3 oz. jar of Hormel Real Bacon Bits
  • Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast



DIRECTIONS

In a medium sized bowl smash together the buttery stick, blue cheese and bacon bits.  Set aside.  This is formally known as a compound butter and can really jazz up any boring chicken, steak, burger, potato...you name it!  If you don't like blue cheese, try another cheese.  Make it your own.  A quick Google search for "compound butter" can get you started in the right direction and give you lots of great ideas.  Smaller amounts can also be made by adjusting the ingredients accordingly.  I usually wrap mine up in plastic wrap creating a "log-o-butter" and place it in the freezer.  It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.

Cut into the side of the chicken breast being careful not to cut all the way through.  Open up the cut to form a pocket and stuff the chicken breast with 2 Tablespoons of the compound butter.

Heat 1 Tablespoon of canola oil in a skillet to medium high heat and saute the chicken breasts for approximately 10 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 160 - 165 degrees.  I'm weird about my chicken and tend to take it all the way to 165 and don't worry about the little bit of carry over cooking that might take place.  It still comes out moist and juicy.  While I'm not a fan of dried out, rubbery chicken...I'm also not a fan of food poisoning.  So, I'll take my chances.




SIDE NOTE:  Prior to this blog I would always spell blue cheese...as bleu cheese.  I recently read an article that unless you are from France, and plan on pronouncing it with a French accent, don't spell it in French.  So...since I'm not even close to being French and even flunked my high school French class with probably the lowest recorded grade in history....I will now spell it BLUE. :)

1 comment: