Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Monday Night Dinner


I usually don't cook on Monday nights because typically I open the drive thru at work on Monday mornings which means I have to be there at 7am. So after getting up at 5:45am and working till 4:30 I'm sure you can imagine how exhausted I am. But...things have changed (at least for the Lenten season). Now on Monday nights my friend Corinne and I are going to a Bible study at church so I thought that would be a good night to cook something easy and have her over for dinner. So from now on my theme for Monday nights will be "Delicious and Easy".

(Side Note about me: I'm also doing weight watchers right now so most of my meals need to be relatively healthy and easy to calculate the points for.)

This past Monday I decided to try and find an actual WW recipe to make. And it turns out I picked an absolutely DELICIOUS one!

Chicken Cordon Bleu:

Ingredients:
1 pound(s) uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, four 4-oz pieces
1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, divided
1/4 tsp table salt
1 oz Casa Italia Prosciutto, or other brand, very thinly sliced
2 oz low-fat Swiss cheese (I actually used provolone)
1/3 cup(s) dried bread crumbs, plain-variety
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 large egg white(s)
2 spray(s) cooking spray
1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil

Instructions:
  • Place chicken between two sheets of wax paper; using a rolling pin, pound chicken to 1/4-inch thickness. 
  • Rub chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each pepper and salt. Evenly divide prosciutto and cheese over chicken; fold chicken in half to cover prosciutto and cheese and press down to hold shape.
  • In a shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, parsley and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place flour on a plate. In another shallow bowl, whip egg whites until soft peaks form.
  • To coat chicken, dredge each piece of chicken in flour; turn to coat. Then dip each chicken breast in egg whites; turn to coat. Next, dredge chicken in bread crumb-mixture and press down to make sure all sides are covered. Repeat until all four chicken breasts are coated.
  • Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat; add butter and oil. When they begin to shimmer (about 1 or 2 minutes), place chicken in a single layer in skillet; cook, flipping once, until nicely browned and chicken is completely cooked through, about 6 to 8 minutes. Serve immediately. Yields 1 chicken breast per serving.
I served mine with fresh green beans (my favorite) and baked potatoes, but really any side of your choosing would be appropriate with this dinner. It was definitely a hit! I will for sure make this recipe again. The flavors were spot on and it was very filling. I think it would also be good with mozzarella cheese too.


I hope when you try this recipe you find it as delicious and easy as I did. It's nice to have easy recipes like this on reserve for long days when the thought of tackling a big dinner makes you want to take a nap before you've even started. Happy Eating! :)

Much Love! 
 -Jess




1 comment:

  1. I do something similar, but more rolled up! They are so tasty!!! Although with prosciutto and cheese how can you go wrong! Thanks for sharing, Jess!!! I'm making your Bruchetta Burgers tonight!!!!

    ReplyDelete