Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Crazy Tuesdays

I almost titled this blog "Tuesday Sucks", but I didn't want to be Debbie Downer for what I know is the sacred day of the week for Jess.  My Tuesdays are so much different.  Tuesday is my "single mom" night because my hubby goes to grad school and Ethan has basketball practice.  It's hectic to say the least.

So, for my debut blog I'm passing along the most ridiculously easy recipe on the face of the planet.  Most people probably go to the Old Spaghetti Factory for this dish...me...I make it at home with three ingredients.

Tonight, the boys had PBJs and I made this as a single serving.  However, you can very easily increase the serving sizes and the directions will remain the same.  Enjoy!

BROWN BUTTER SPAGHETTI w/ MIZITHRA CHEESE

INGREDIENTS:

2 oz. whole wheat spaghetti, dry

2 Tbl. butter (you MUST use the real stuff)

1/2 oz. finely grated Mizithra Cheese

DIRECTIONS:

Cook pasta according to package directions.  While the pasta is cooking grate cheese using a small microplane grater ; set aside. 

Next, heat a skillet to med-high heat and start melting the butter.

Melting
Browning butter is a very simple thing, but you have to be sure NOT to burn it.  It doesn't take long so I would suggest not walking away.  Swirl the pan until the butter is all melted.
Swirling
As the butter melts you will notice the butter solids will begin to look "foamy" and start rising to the top.  The clarified butter will remain underneath it.  
Skimming
Salivating
As the butter begins to brown skim off the butter solids and discard.  Continue occasionally swirling the pan and you will start to see the butter turning a beautiful golden brown and the nutty aroma will knock your socks off. 

This may not look very tasty, but let me assure you....it is!!!  Browned butter has this fabulous nutty tasty and since I used salted butter I don't need to add anything else.  

Browning butter only takes about 4-5 minutes so by this time your pasta should be done.  Drain the spaghetti, toss with the browned butter and then top with the big mound of Mizithra Cheese.   Which by the way can locally be found at Dierbergs and probably any other swanky grocery store.

Served with steamed broccoli (it cancels out the butter)

Up Close and Personal (I love my mini Microplane!!!)
 

3 comments:

  1. Never had this before... sounds yummers, will have to give it a try soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you posted a recipe made for one! It's always hard for me to find things to make that don't feed an entire family. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful. Even the butter looks delicious in the pan. I have to admit, I haven't heard of that cheese before. Might have to try it!

    ReplyDelete