Sunday, April 3, 2011

REVIEW: Gyro House, St. Louis, MO (Delmar Loop)

Gyro House
6152 Delmar Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63112
314-721-5638

Okay, so for my portion of this review, I'm going to try and keep this short and sweet.  I love gyros and saw a $50 gift certificate online for only $12.50...so I bought it.

We ordered:
Greek Salad - $5.45
Spanakopita - $4.90
Saganaki - $4.90
Combo Plate (1/2 of a Gyro, lamb kabob, chicken kabob & rice) - $10.10
3 Gyros - $5.45 each - one w/ added feta cheese $1
4 fountain drinks $???

Now, that I'm adding this up...I've either forgot something, those were some really expensive drinks, maybe they added gratuity, or maybe they just plain messed something.  The woman taking our order did seem confused about something?  Anyway, our bill came out to be somewhere around $56???  Hmmmm???  Oh well.

REVIEW ~ Short Version: 
Go with the gyro and the saganaki!!!!

Greek Salad:  nothing special.

Spanakopita: terrible!  I normally love spinach pie...that is when it's done right.  It's supposed to be like a spinach and feta quiche of sorts in between flaky, buttery, layers of phyllo dough.  This was just plain gross.  The dough was like chewing on rubber, there was barely any filling and what filling was there had an overwhelming taste of dill.  Weird.

Saganaki:  WONDERFUL served with fresh, soft, but slightly chewy pita!  It's hard to go wrong with the something that is simply Fried Cheese, right!!! Yummy!!!

Combo Plate:  The lamb & chicken kabobs were kind of dry, but seasoned well.  It only came with 1/2 Gyro and a side of rice...which is fine....but it didn't say that.  I don't like sneaky menus.

Gyros:  The actual reason we went in the first place and it was TERRIFIC!  Very tasty and probably the best I've ever had.

OVERALL:  Ehhh....probably wouldn't go again.  Sadly, even if I had a coupon.  If I want good greek food...I'll stay on this side of the river and eat at Fazzi's in Collinsville.  My suggestion is Gyro House should really just close up shop and have a food truck rambling around town selling only GYROS and FRIED CHEESE!!! Now we are talking!!! Oh, and they have one funky shared bathroom/storage room.  Weird.

Ha....short and sweet....who the heck am I kidding!!!

                 Happy Eating!!!  ♥ Jessica Dudley

Now it's on to me I guess! And I don't really have much to say because I agree with Jessica completely.

I loved the fried cheese and the Gyro's. The tzatziki sauce was really good. I was also not a fan of the spinach pie (Olga's does a better job). The Greek Salad definitely looked like I could have made it at home.

I don't really think I'll go back there again. It was fun doing the review together with Jessica. And a special amazing thanks to Jen and Jarrod who joined us. I had a great time that evening, but I think it was mostly because of the company and conversation. Gyro House, bring on the food truck! Jessica, Jen, and Jarrod...let's try out Fazzi's next time we want Gyros!

And those bathrooms were really strange with the storage shelves I felt like I was in the back room of the restaurant.

 Much Love!
     -Jess Loftus

Greek Salad

Saganaki

Spanakopita

Combo Platter

1 comment:

  1. try st louis coffee oasis in the central west end.

    - jenna

    ReplyDelete